Effective date: October 7, 2022
Personal Information That You Provide
Darn Tough Vermont collects information, some of which includes Personal Data: (1) automatically when you use our Site, or from (2) web forms that you fill out, (3) email inquiries and responses, (4) orders that you place, whether or not completed, and (5) conversations you may have with our representatives (which information is stored in our Customer Relationship Management (“CRM”) system). Apart from information collected automatically when you use our Site (discussed in greater detail below), the type of Personal Data we collect from you depends on the nature of your interactions with us.
When you begin the check-out process, you will be prompted for your email address, as well as your billing and shipping addresses, and telephone number(s). This information is saved in our CRM system. We retain this information indefinitely, subject to any rights you may have with respect to the Personal Data associated with your Order.
If you want your Personal Data removed from our system, please contact us by email at email@example.com. Please note that Darn Tough Vermont may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
Except in the case of contests and sweepstakes in which you participate voluntarily, we do not share your Personal Data with any third party.
Contests and Sweepstakes
Marketing for contests and sweepstakes (including for giveaways of Darn Tough Vermont® socks) is done by third-party marketing companies, who have their own privacy policies. When you elect to participate in a contest or sweepstakes, your name and email address are shared with the marketing company, and the marketing company (over whom we have no control) will share that information with each company participating in the contest or sweepstakes.
Our SMS/Text Messaging Service
Information That We Collect Automatically
When you visit our Site, we (through our authorized service providers) collect information about device you are using to access our website, the type of web browser, your IP address, time zone, some of the cookies that may be installed on your device, and which website or search terms referred you to our website. (When you click a hyperlink to a website, your browser normally sends a request to the server holding the destination page, which request contains a “referrer” field that indicates the last page you were on.) As you browse the Site, we also collect information about the web pages you visit and products that you view, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” (These are data files that websites place on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, visit https://www.allaboutcookies.org, but please note that cookies are necessary to the functioning of our online store);
- “Log files” (These track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps);
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Among the tools we use are the following. These tools assist us in improving our services and making our marketing and advertising services more effective by, for example, giving us the ability to conduct aggregate analyses of website user activity:
- Google Analytics, which typically enables us to collect the time of your visit, the pages visited, and time spent on each page or in specific areas of webpages, IP address, network location, and other information. Information about how Google uses your Personal Information can be found here: You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here:
- Tags and pixels specific to Facebook, Google, Reddit, and Bing, which track users who click on DTV advertisements on those platforms;
- Kerv, which tracks web activity when the user clicks on an advertisement for DTV and is taken to a landing page with one of our videos;
Personal Data collected by us using Google Analytics are set to expire automatically 26 months after the date on which it is collected. With our other marketing tools, we retain any Personal Data for at least as long as we use the particular tools, but most of the information we receive from these tools is anonymized following collection in order to show us marketplace trends and consumer habits.
How We Use Your Personal information
We may also use your Personal Information for remarketing, re-engagement, and similar audience advertising to reach people who have visited our website. These methods allow us to provide you with customized display when you browse the web and use apps, and to match you with the right products based on your being part of a similar audience. Our third-party service providers, including Google and Facebook, may show you ads on sites across the internet by using cookies and device identifiers from your past visits to our website.
If you don’t want to receive email or physical mail from us, contact our customer service team. We are available via live chat, Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm Eastern — use the Chat icon in the lower right corner of the screed — or by phone at 877-327-6883. You can also use the contact form at https://darntough.com/pages/contact-us.
If you are a European resident and subject to protection under the General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be provided to you, corrected, updated, or deleted. Please also note that:
- We may process your Personal Data for any one or more of the following reasons: (a) we need to perform a contract with you (e.g., to process an order or ship product that you purchased); (b) you have given us permission to do so by opting in to receive communications; (c) the processing is in our legitimate business interests and not overridden by your rights; (4) for payment processing purposes; and (5) to comply with the law;
- the exercise by you of any of these rights may affect your right or ability to place orders, to receive information about our goods, and to exercise your rights under our warranty;
If you would like to exercise any of your rights as a European Resident, please contact us through the contact page on our website, or by live chat, or by the telephone number listed on our contact page.
If you are a resident of the state of California, you have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). Please note that if you exercise your right to require us to delete your personal information, it may affect your right or ability to place orders, receive information about our goods, or exercise your rights under our warranty.
You can exercise your rights under the CCPA by contacting us through the contact page on our website (https://darntough.com/pages/contact-us), or by live chat, or by the telephone number listed on our contact page.
We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and are aware that your child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children under 13 without parental consent, we will take steps to remove that information from our servers.